POSITION: WELLNESS DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: REGIONAL DIRECTOR – QUALITY & CARE MANAGEMENT
Registered Nurse for the Worthington Assisted Living Residence in Camby, Indiana
The phenomenal macro outlook for the Assisted Living industry is well documented. There are approximately 20 million seniors over the age of 70 in the U.S. today and that figure will grow by another 5 million people over the next 10 years alone. New supply being added is only 1% of the existing inventory in the U.S. which creates a tremendous imbalance between supply and demand. The assisted living industry is still a largely fragmented one with the top 10 owner/operators comprising well less than 20% of the total market; thus, the industry is ripe for consolidation, which is inevitable.
With a national presence across 20 states, Assisted Living Concepts is one of the largest owner and operator of assisted living facilities in the U.S. with over 200 buildings managed. The typical ALC community has 40-60 units and offers residents a supportive, home-like setting and assistance. With over 4,000 employees, the company has total annual operating revenue of approximately $200 million.
In May of 2013, the shareholders of ALC overwhelmingly approved selling the company to TPG Capital, a leading, global investment firm with $54.7 billion of capital under management. Founded in 1992, TPG specializes in recognizing value – or the potential value – where others do not. The transaction is expected to close this summer. This transaction will position ALC as the single largest private owner and operator of Assisted Living assets in the U.S. Under TPG’s ownership, the newly installed executive team will lead a dramatic transformation of the organization, which includes the build-out of a highly scalable operating platform that will position the company to participate in external growth opportunities.
Responsible for providing nursing oversight at an Assisted Living Residence. Supports our mission to provide quality services for resident care and safety, employee relations, customer service, occupancy and business results which meet or exceed ALC standards. Supports Corporate and Regional Team strategies for quality resident care management as directed by the Executive Vice President of Care & Compliance and Division Vice Presidents of Quality Services and other members of the ALC Senior Leadership Team.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable state and assisted living regulations and nurse practice acts in assigned area of service.
- Maintains and implements ALC policies and procedures, ensuring compliance in their residence.
- Provides residence focused, constructive consultation based on objective information and observation. Accurately assesses and evaluates the service and care provided. Identifies opportunities for improvement and makes sound recommendations based on state regulations, quality metrics and ALC policies and procedures. Collaborates with residence leadership to develop plans for improvement.
- Provides on-going clinical evaluation of the timely and accurate completion of the Resident Assessment, Negotiated Service Plan, Task Sheets and Negotiated Risk Agreement Systems.
- Serves as the primary resident care case manager for pre and post move-in assessments and determinations related to clinical denials and discharges at ALC to promote the delivery of safe and appropriate levels of care. Works with team to provide timely and accurate resident assessments to facilitate new move-ins and existing returning residents to our ALC communities and accesses the knowledge of the Division Vice Presidents or other members of Senior Leadership.
- Actively participates as a key member of the house trifecta at on and off-site company meetings and on company conference calls as required.
- Ensures that all OSHA and safety standards are followed, as applicable to the position, and in the business location or workplace, in accordance with state and federal regulation and ALC policies and procedures.
- Assists community with medication assistance/administration and pharmacy utilization trends. Ensures appropriate training/competency training of employees involved in medication assistance per state regulations and ALC standards. Assists with the review & investigation of medication errors and controlled substance discrepancies and/or diversions.
- Adheres to established confidentiality standards of resident and employee information as applicable.
- Maintains excellent relationship with Residence Director and Sales/Marketing Director.
- Assists with the oversight and integration of ALC dining services and life enrichment (Meaningful Pursuits) programs to enhance resident quality of life.
- Provides a leadership role in the implementation of our ALC Comprehensive Quality Improvement Program. Responsible with Residence Director for timely and accurate input of monthly Quality Care Indicators by team.
- Supports the survey/regulatory compliance process in their residence. Assists the Residence Director to educate staff members on the state specific regulatory requirements. Assists assigned residences with state plan of correction formulation and/or reviews plans of correction for completion and accuracy prior to submission. Assists with Informal Dispute Resolution procedures as requested.
- Serves as a liaison to state regulatory agencies as requested by supervisor.
- Actively provides oversight of work plans and state plans of correction to ensure timely and accurate completion leading to on-going sustained compliance with state regulations and ALC policies.
- Assists with completion of residence investigations and Quality Connection Hot-line calls as requested/directed.
- Assumes after hours on-call availability to assist team members with clinical management of residents, including changes of condition and management of incidents and accidents.
- Other assigned tasks as defined by supervisor.
- Licensed Registered Nurse
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred
- Maintains a current/unencumbered RN license in State(s) of primary responsibility
- Minimum 1 year clinical experience in long term care, community based care, or assisted living
- Quality assurance/improvement and staff development experience required
- Possesses good interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work harmoniously with other employees and develop/maintain good employee relations and employee morale. Ability to deal tactfully with employees, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies and the general public.
- Adult education and public speaking skills required.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and implement policies, procedures, regulations, reports, etc., to employees, residents, family members, visitors and government agencies.
- Possesses good time management and organizational skills.
- Assumes a positive, professional image that emulates a spirit of cooperation and teamwork with co-workers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to perform the tasks required. Ability to read, interpret and analyze applicable reports.
- Sufficient computer skills required to perform duties. Role requires routine computer use including daily review of Outlook email correspondence, formulation of assessments and resident service plans, and frequent use of additional ALC Intranet functions.